Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ineffective Classroom Delivery or ...?

If I were to go to school again, starting from standard 1 and go through all the examinations so that at the end of the process I would be a university material, I would give it a miss.
It seems that attending classes in school is not enough to know or understand all there is to know and understand. They must be supplemented by tuitions at night.
Are the subjects too difficult, the syllabus too wide, the levels too deep? or is the classroom delivery not effective that largely kids must be 'taught' twice - at school and at tuition centers? I do not know.
Which one is more effective in imparting knowledge? Schools or tuition centers; or can we say that it is a shared two-step process? Schools introduce the topic, tuition centers drive in the substance and understanding? I do not know.
I breathe a sigh of relief realizing that I do not have to go through it all, and here I am at the very end of the formal education spectrum.

2 comments:

  1. I was looking for updates on your blog and since there werent any began scrolling looking at previous post. Its interesting that almost everyone has this broad and negative idea of our education system.. but i have always been a believer that our system of education right now needs a solution... i think there needs to be more emphasize on why we teach them something.. we dont let them choose until later about 16 or 17 but if we all taught students the value of what they learn then it wont be a problem.. An American president once said that "Its not that my administration is doing a bad job, we could have done better telling people why what we are trying to do is important.." What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming back, and please do come back from time to time. I have been too occupied lately on other things, or away from Internet access for quite a while.
    There must be purpose in education and students must know that purpose, then they would appreciate better and even take it upon themselves to learn on their own. In the olden days, my time, if I can say it that way, the motivation for doing well is to get out of the rut, to better oneself and the family, to take them away from poverty. That was motivation enough.
    What would be the motivation today? Can material wealth be the motivator? I think not so. I think the society at large need to see learned people in reverence and value scholarships. Teaching methods that encourage thinking instead of rote memory should be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete