Thursday, April 30, 2009

Just Ask Why

Everyone is familiar with the five Ws and one H. Well, almost everyone.
His friend starts mumbling again; and all Nakamora has to do is listen and comment when appropriate. That is the basis of their friendship. So, he listens.
When I was small I was asked only one question by my father: why. Why this, why that, why not this, why not that. Yes, it is just one question, the same one, but different materials; and I have to answer or made up the answers. After all he wouldn't know as long as the answer seemed logical. The hard part of course is in knowing what is logical and what is not, and to follow through my previous answer. Sometimes I was trapped by my own answer when his follow-up question is combined with my previous answer, and it did not sound right.
Can you give an example, asked Nakamora.
Why is the sky blue? I can answer it is because of the reflection of the ocean. He would then asked, why is it red in the afternoon or morning when the ocean is not changing color? See what I mean? How would I answer that?
Hmm.. your father must have been using the Socratic method to teach you.
I don't know that. Perhaps your father learned of the method too.
Not likely, he said. My father is not the educated kind.
Then, he must have discovered that independently of Socrates.
Perhaps...

No comments:

Post a Comment